Alaska 2022 cruise season and shore excursions are here!
I enjoyed sailing to Alaska during the opening week of the Alaska cruise season in April 2022.
We sailed from Seattle, Washington to Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Alaska, and Victoria, British Columbia.
Below is a breakdown of the ports and what the ports are currently like.
This stop is pretty much back to normal. The restaurants are open. I got to eat at Tracy’s Crab Shack for opening day. It was heavenly, and I highly suggest it.
These are the top excursions that our team suggests in Juneau;
- Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier Tour
- Juneau Dog Sledding & Glacier Helicopter Tour
- Juneau Icefield Helicopter Tour
- Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip
- Juneau Whale Watching Tour & Salmon Bake Combo
We noticed this town is still somewhat affected, and some of the shops are still shut down but will hopefully be reopening soon.
These are the top excursions that our team suggests in Skagway;
- Skagway White Pass Railroad Summit Excursion & Train Tour
- Skagway Musher’s Camp and Sled Dog Adventure
- Skagway Dog Sledding & Glacier Flightseeing Helicopter Tour
- Skagway Glacier Helicopter Tour
This part of Alaska is totally back to normal. I got to go to Ketchikan in the summer of 2021 and it was operating like normal then too so it’s back to pre-covid.
The top shore excursions we book in Ketchikan;
- Misty Fjords Flightseeing – I have personally done this excursion and it’s one of my favorite things on earth to do.
- Ketchikan Black Bear & Wildlife Exploration
- Ketchikan Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles Excursion
- Many of our clients don’t take a shore excursion in Ketchikan instead they walk around and shop. There are great deals on jewelry and art in Ketchikan.
While I didn’t get to visit Sitka on this cruise, I have visited Sitka in the past.
The fishing in Sitka is great and my husband enjoyed it very much.
These are some other popular excursions.
- Sitka City Tour or Rainforest Tour
- Whale Watching
VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA
You don’t have as much time on most cruises for Victoria but there is still time to see some of the city.
The most popular excursions by far in Victoria if you have time is;
- Butchart Gardens Tour
- Downtown Food And Victoria City Tour
- City Tour
Two bonus foodie tips:
Eat at Tracy’s Crab Shack in Juneau and have a beer or a Duck Fart at the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau.
In Ketchikan eat at the Fish House they have amazing Smoked Salmon Chowder – it is amazing!
Alaska has incredible ports and I highly suggest pre-booking shore excursions before your cruise or trip.
Please reach out to our team if you have Alaska cruise questions or excursion questions.